Thursday, July 25, 2013

Mainly Pics - New Stuff


Let me do this fast, before I lose my nerve about parading my beginner efforts in public!

This  is my first attempt at knitting an Epi Elli for epileptic children.
A wonderful neighbour of ours has a little boy who has epilepsy and she is moving mountains in fundraising, awareness raising and toy making for this, rallying many willing hands to the cause
These knitted elephants in purple (their signal colour) are comfort toys for the children: elephants have lots of 'handles' for children with this particular illness and the response from the kids who have already received theirs has been touching.
This second attempt was cuter than it looks :-)
The downside was that I decided to try a different purple, not realising it was a finer wool than the white.
Duh
So I had to do some fancy footwork when I sewed him up.
I haven't knitted anything since my kids (now in their 30's and 40's) were tiny
I didn't expect it to be so much fun to make these soft toys.
This little bear was another story altogether
Lets call it a rescue mission for a grandchild whose school project needed a dash of speed!
I love the ways these toys suddenly seem to develop a character once you put a face on them
 
Another thing I've been trying my hand at is drawing faces.
Each face developes a' personality', although all I doing was trying to draw each particular feature.
I have NO idea how each one will look when I'm finished, so its a kind of "lucky packet" scenario.
I have much to learn, correct, improve, blah blah blah but I'm going to post these, my first efforts, so be able to track my journey here
(Thanks to Mel, JD, for being the inspiration for trying this)






And now, just because I love this pic of my No 3 granddaughter and me, here it is . . .




3 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

Yay you! What lovely elephants. I can just imagine the pleasure they will give their recipients.

I love your face sketches and can't wait to see just how they develop. The photo of you and granddaughter 3 is so touching.

MelB said...

Love this post - full of new interests and adventure in a very creative space. The knitting thing looks like it could become addictive and my girls are so enjoying learning from you. (and having you on hand to finish projects...!)

heres to many more faces sketched...i am behind on practising so need to get cracking this week.

That photo is one of my all-time favourites...

I'm so not a blogger said...

Those elephants are just the cutest! Good on you! ( I am Not a fan of knitting at all...!) And your drawings are great, I really should try and find the time to draw, I really enjoy it!

Look forward to seeing more as you foray deeper into this creative space:-)