Monday, March 16, 2009

What Was I Thinking!

For about 15 years I kept a journal. For me, that is a miracle A real one. I am not famous for my perseverance. It suddenly hit me that, ever since I started blogging, I have stopped journalling. That is so dumb. Because what I write about in my journals is way different from my posts It was the fire (see 2 previous posts) that suddenly reminded me about the journals. People talking about what they would really mourn losing in a fire: the irreplaceable things - like photos. And I thought: my journals! The value of those books to me is HUGE. I have, over the years, tried to document the braiding together of the ordinary rhythms of my life with the interventions and breathings of God in it. Those things can come into sharp focus when seen from a broader perspective Thats what these journals provide. I can now skim though years in an hour or so And see how prayers that seemed to have gone unheard, have actually been answered but in an unrecognized way. How sometimes the difficult times have themselves been the springboards into the answers to my deepest requests. How pouring out my heart on paper about difficult children sometimes just issued into a sublime window into the heart of God - Himself the Father, and I would see that I often did those very things to Him Family life became a teaching cameo The meshing of practical and divine gives the mundane incandescence and gives the divine, present reality. And that is recorded there And is utterly priceless to me. I don't want to let go of that - What was I thinking!?

6 comments:

Mel said...

Indeed!!! Dont let that go!

I have similar thoughts too wrt my scrapping. I scrap much more personally than I blog .... blogging can easily consume you...

Loving the new look and gizmos on your blog!

Jo said...

Love the new look!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful!! I don't have a journal... only my online ramblings....hmmm, maybe I should start one?
Love the new look blog! x

Lynette Jacobs said...

In our ministry I resolve to journal every year...man this can make for a best seller...sadly I never do it. So I really admire your perseverance.

Ordinarylife said...

There is something different about writing it down on paper. Keep it going!

Susan said...

I agree that there's something different about writing it on paper...but I have to say that my blog IS my journal. I certainly guard my words a bit more than I might in a journal...but even that has been OK for me. My goodness...it's an impressive collection you have!

:-) Susan