Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Past Links

It is very special to me when friends of my children become friends of mine too. Over the years there have been a few of these "almost family" youngsters - They would be as likely to be found draped over my lounge furniture, or scrutinizing my fridge for anything edible, as my own children. And as likely to hang out in my kitchen, chewing over the perplexities of life with me as well. Maybe more so. Those memories came close today. One of these people - a very special one - arrived unexpectedly on our doorstep. He now lives with his lovely wife and 10 month old daughter in Orange County, California. Since he is only in Cape Town for a very short visit, I didn't expect to see him. He is an extremely talented artist, an ardent Christ-follower, a enthusiastic surfer and a great friend. He is now also a devoted husband and father. It was so great to spend the morning together, the talk ranging over all kinds of things, just as it did when he was a high school boy. There is something of the same joy you get when a wild bird comes and sits on your finger - the feeling when a youngster chooses to spend time with you. Don't you think? Or is it just me that feels that way?

4 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

I know the feeling...my sons have friends that love hanging with us...some since school days...some even adopted us as extra parents.

Mel said...

I saw D at the memorial service today too. He is a special boy that one.

allie. said...

@ Lynette - yes, I just bet they did!

@ Mel - he said he was going there - used to surf with him, And yes, a very special boy.

Jo said...

I couldnt agree with you more Allie, a wonderful feeling x