Saturday, April 9, 2011

It Is What It Is

My mood does not match the lovely shiny day
Its down, dark gray, and heavy.
Sometimes life just plain sucks.
Not often, but sometimes.

So to cheer myself up, I am going to blog about my MIL
Mostly in pics.

Let's just say that my MIL is larger and louder than life.
A typical "old school" Afrikaans tannie (auntie) she's interested in everyone's business and loves to talk about the ins and outs of the lives of others.
She has a heart of gold and is generous to a fault to those she loves.
She calls a spade a bluddy shovel and if you don't like it, she surely won't care.

But one of her main claims to fame is her own brand of decor.
Briefly, it is putting everything you don't eat or wear on display.
Anywhere
Everywhere.
If there is no more room, MAKE room - on top of another knick knack if necessary.

First glimpse!

Long suffering FIL who would love to live in simplicity.


Here she is in the midst of her treasures, laying it out for DH


This is the diningroom table. As it is. Do not be fooled into thinking this is a temporary state
Do  not think either that this lady is disorganised or sloppy:
This is how she likes things.
Everything is dusted and polished and immaculate!

A display cabinet!
Kinda funny - the whole room is a "display cabinet"

In my usual seat there, sporting my not very successful new cut and colour.

4 comments:

Trix's Mix said...

I am smiling at this post! As I am getting older I just want to get rid of everything...and my children are all collecting.

Lynette Jacobs said...

Heehee...this is enough to lift the spirit of anyone:-)

I am pretty sure you are in line to inherit:-)

Hayley said...

This post also had me smiling...I love people like this! She sounds awesome!

Terry said...

Very interesting! It would be fun to tour this house just to see what's there. Did you have to move anything to be able to sit down?