Sunday, June 1, 2014

For Each Other

My other half and I were recently wringing our hands about the spike in food prices.
One shopping bag of ordinary groceries costs around R200 - and that's at your usual store, not high end stores.


We stared at each other in horror when we realised that our gardener/handyman who comes each Saturday, only earns R200 a week, having lost his other job.
The reality of it hit hard.
T decided to have a chat with him to try to identify some way to help

He returned sometime later, looking stunned
Turns out he had asked Jacob what he does when he does not have any money.
Jacob told him: "I just let my family in Johannesburg and the Eastern Cape know, and some friends here, and they help me."
"Then when I have money and they need help, I help them."

He also said (and this is the part that really got to me) that when they prosper, they do not build bigger houses and live more extravagantly -
No, they continue to live the same way so they can help others who are battling.
I don't know if this is the norm for his culture but the fact that there are people who do this, in these days of corruption and every man for himself, is inspirational -
Don't you think?

I cant help wondering how this world would look if that were a norm. . . .

2 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

That is what we found at the Mission too Allie. We have mostly white and people of mixed race living at the Mission. The black people seem to be taking care of their own. Amazing isn't it.

Unknown said...

Allie, I love this....wow, makes me look and think about all the things I do and spend money on.A helping hand in time of need. Would love to live in a society more like this....